Sunday, December 12, 2010

My Skiing Experience

Summer was very hot and long this year, and at the end you probably had enough of this hot weather and were wondering when winter will come. By the end of August most people who like to ski couldn’t wait for winter. Well, I have some good news for you: winter has finally arrived! Hopefully, you have your winter equipment ready and can head right to the slopes. In Canada winter is usually quite long and cold, but that makes this country a perfect destination for skiers.
I learned skiing in Quebec (Le Massif), 7 years ago, when I was visiting my boyfriend (at that time, now my husband), who, by the way, taught me how to ski. It turned out, I was pretty good at it and I learned quickly. I never expected that I will enjoy skiing so much. I’m still afraid of the speed and I have to be in control, but I like it very much. Each year we try to go at least once on a longer ski trip and on weekends we usually go for night skiing to one of the resorts nearby.
I can definitely recommend Mont Tremblant and Le Massif in Quebec, and Blue Mountain and Mount St. Louis in Ontario. But if you’re already quite good at skiing, it’s good to visit bigger mountains, like Sunshine or Lake Louise in the Rockies. I also had a chance to ski on some of the nicest slopes in Europe (France and Austria). The best place I’ve ever been to was Meribel in France. It’s in the middle of the region called the Three Valleys. You can ski there for the whole week and be on different ski trails each day. And you get to see Mont Blanc, one of the highest mountains in the world.
For me skiing became the best way to survive winter. On the slopes, especially when the weather is nice and the sun is shining, you get so much energy that those dark and short winter days don’t seem so bad after all. If you haven’t tried skiing yet, maybe this year will be your first chance to experience this great winter sport. I hope you do, because skiing might change your attitude towards winter in Canada.

Here are some useful links:
Mount St. Louis: http://www.mslm.on.ca/
Lake Louise and Sunshine, Banff: http://www.skibig3.com/

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Justyna when you have a chance try in Whistler B.C.,
    You will like it :)

    ReplyDelete